Friday, June 10, 2016

An Introduction

If you’re reading this blog, then you must be asking your self the relatively open-ended question of ‘What’s the matter with Roy?'.

Realistically, I don’t think that I will be able to answer that question. However, throughout this blog, I will attempt to answer the simpler questions of: ‘Where is Roy, currently?’, ‘How did he get there?’,  ‘What is he eating there?’, ‘ What is Roy doing?’, and ‘Why did he think that was a good idea?’

I didn’t want to post these things on Facebook, but if you’re interested, feel free to follow along with me during the summer. I hope to post once a week.

This summer I will be working with a company called EPropulsion through a partnership with UCLA and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). The program I am a part of is called Research in Industrial Projects for Students (RIPS-HK), which has a sister program in LA at UCLA ( http://www.ipam.ucla.edu/programs/student-research-programs/research-in-industrial-projects-for-students-rips-hong-kong-2016/ ).

I don’t intend to have this blog be about the math I learn this summer, though who knows – as the an old Asian man once told my Math teacher, “No one can predict future”. But just as a brief synopsis about what I will be doing this summer : I will be working with 3 other students (2 Chinese students, and 1 other American) to create an underwater acoustic communication protocol, essentially using sonar to communicate with other people underwater. There are a number of issues that arise with acoustic underwater communication, but I think I will make that its own blog post when I know more about the project, and can comment of that in-depth (heh heh). From what I understand right now, the idea is to communicate with specific individuals underwater using acoustic waves to encode information.
There are few steps in this process, but generally we plan to investigate how one can use a field of mathematics called 'Random Matrix Theory' in order to send and recover information in a robust way, such that you minimize information loss. If anyone reading this has any insights on this, feel free to send me a message (at this point, I will be honest, I know relatively little on the matter)!




No comments:

Post a Comment